This desert is a delicious vision out of some kind of sugar-coated dream. A fluffy vanilla cake with matcha swirls, iced with a light, creamy topping. But THIS recipe is also paleo-friendly, so you can satisfy your sweet tooth and get your matcha fix without sacrificing your diet!
*Note you will need to make your keto condensed milk in advance.
Key Lime Matcha Poke Cake Recipe
FOR THE CAKE:
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups almond flour
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup vanilla protein powder
- 1 tsp liquid stevia
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp lime zest
FOR THE FILLING:
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup keto condensed milk
- ½ teaspoon Kiss Me Organics Matcha
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tbsp lime zest
FOR THE CREAM TOPPING:
- 1 cup coconut milk (whipped into cream)
- 1 drop of liquid stevia
- Lime zest for the top
TO MAKE THE CAKE BASE:
- Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C).
- Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl whisk the eggs, egg whites, coconut butter, coconut milk, and lime zest.
- In another mixing bowl, mix the almond flour, coconut flour, vanilla whey protein powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.
- Pour these two mixtures together, add the stevia, and whisk until well combined.
- Pour into the pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden and the cake is set.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave it to cool.
*Note: Keep a careful eye on your timing—this cake can easily burn if left to bake too long due to the gluten-free flours.
TO MAKE THE FILLING:
- Mix in the matcha tea powder with the lime juice.
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and place the egg yolks in a heatproof bowl.
- Mix the egg yolks with the matcha/lime juice, and add lime zest.
- Place the heatproof bowl in a double broiler, making sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Stir constantly for 8-10 minutes, or until the mixture starts to thicken—and then remove from heat.
- Add the butter, and mix until dissolved.
- Add your pre-made condensed milk and mix until completely combined.
- Poke several holes in the cooled cake using the (thin) handle of a wooden spoon.
- Pour the filling evenly over the cake until it’s completely covered and the holes are filled.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
TO MAKE THE CREAM TOPPING:
- Once the cake is ready, whip the whipped cream coconut milk with stevia until you get firm peaks.
- Spread this topping on the cake and sprinkle with lime zest.
- Refrigerate for another hour before serving.
Makes cake for 10